Mexborough and Swinton Times July 22, 1927
The Cadeby colliery was sunk in 1894, and in recent years both at Denaby and Cadeby there have been large extensions both of underground workings and surface plant.
These two colleries together with those of the Manvers Main Colliery company at Wath on Dearne, Adwick and Barnburgh, provide the staple subsistence of the population of Mexborough.
Swinton also is mainly supported by the Manvers Main Collieries and the Kilnhurst collieries, which were sunk by Mrs J and J Charlesworth, of Wakefield in 1958, and are now owned and controlled by the firm of Stewarts and Lloyds (Birmingham).
The Kilnhurst Steel Works are development of the old Kilnhurst Forge of 50 years ago.
The pottery industry still survives at Kilnhurst and nowhere else in the district.
The glass bottle Works at Swinton, which fell upon evil days, has been revived, reconstructed, and extended in recent years by the firm of Dale Brown and company, who took them over shortly before the war from Wilkinson family.
Swinton has been more fortunate and Mexborough and retention of its purely local industries, apart from the coal industry, and as a flourishing foundry, a wagon wheel works, a wagon repair depot and first-rate chemical plant, in addition to the steelworks and the collieries.
Although growth and development have not been so noticeable at Swinton as at Mexborough, it’s industrial basis is broader. Mexborough’s prosperity had been built mainly upon its trading services.