also known as St Thomas’s, were started in 1957 at the suggestion of Mr Tebboth, the then vicar of Kilnhurst.
They were run as an “open pack” so that membership was open to all denominations by Mairi Sykes and friend Janet Wells who had been members of Mexborough Guides and trained as Guiders.
They were later joined by Margaret Burkinshaw, Margaret Shaw, Pamela & Carol Gilliver and others. For many happy years, meetings were held at the Church Hall on Victoria Street, after its demolition they continued at the new St Thomas School at Highthorn. Margaret, Pamela, Carol & Mandy Gilliver were talented and organised many fantastic concerts.
Photo shows the money collected and earned from various tasks and from a concert, sent to a National Guide Appeal to help less fortunate children. Post Office on Victoria Street, shop next door was still a chemist.
provided by Mairi Beighton